Tuesday, June 5, 2012

May wrap-up

I can't believe we are well into June already! Here is some of the things that happened in May that I never got around to blogging about.

Last week Blake had his last day of preshool:
My Grandpa Davis gave the kids an awesome Cosmo poster. Blake loved it so much that he wanted it framed- luckily I had a spare poster frame in the basement!
Below the big Cosmo is a whole bunch of little Cosmo's doing different stretches. The kids have been having fun learning how to stretch. Below is a picture of them doing one of the stretches:

Blake loves his trucks!

Nicole playing with the kitchen after church one day:

Blake made an awesome painting at preschool using a fly swatter and his hands. I thought it was so neat that I bought a frame for it! Now it hangs over our stairs :)

Nathan left to travel for work for the first time. The picture below was right before he left. We all missed Nathan and were glad to have him home after a long week!

My Grandma Davis gave me some iris plants a year or two ago. I planted them near our front door because we had gotten the rocks out of that area. This is what they looked like this year ...and this picture was taken after some of them started dying! I am going to separate them and spread them out a little this year since we are working on our landscaping.

Now for the long story I never posted:

We visited my parents half way through the month. Before we left Dad let both of the kids take a handful of change out of his change bucket (well, Nicole got to take 2 handfuls out). They were both excited to have a little baggy of change – Blake had just over $2 and Nicole had just under $1.5. The day after we got home the kids (well, Blake) were excited to go to the store to spend their change. We went to the dollar store but they didn’t have anything good, so we went to Walgreens to see if they still had motorcycles (Blake had bought a motorcycle on clearance a week or so before with some money he had). They didn’t, but Blake found a big rig (an oil carrier) and really wanted it. It was $4 though, so I called Nathan and we decided he could get it if he did some chores this afternoon to earn the rest of the money.

I found Nicole a small garden tool set (watering can, shovel, hoe, and rake) for $2. The kids were so excited to pay for their things, so we dumped out all the change and I paid the extra $2 or so. I apologized to the 2 ladies behind us in line but they said not to worry about it – they were glad that I was making the kids pay and teaching them about money. They also commented how cute the kids were :)

When we got home we made a chore chart. Nathan helped me come up with the things for Blake to do. He had to help me clean the toilets, help empty the dishwasher and pull 3 "Toy Story buckets" of weeds. Blake was so excited to check each item off the list! Getting the 3 buckets of weeds from him was hard – he just wanted to dig in the dirt. But when I was getting ready to go inside I told him if he didn’t fill his last bucket he wouldn’t get his truck so he quickly did the job! He was so proud of himself! Below is a picture of him with his big rig in front of his chore chart

2 comments:

Kate said...

Love how the BYU mascot is teaching them how to stretch! Benjamin also has recently been lining up all his trucks and cars. He also likes to be my little helper...so cool that Blake is learning about hard work and is so proud!

Kate said...

Oh, and I love that you framed his artwork (I too think it's way cool!), and his graduation hat out of paper plates, paper bowl and fruit loops. So cute.