Thursday, July 29, 2010

Getting Blake to sleep

So last week we took away Blake's binki. We had only been letting him have it when he was going to sleep, but I was dreading naps and bed time without it. Last Monday Blake was throwing a monster fit after his nap about wanting his binki and I had enough so I broke the nipple off. He cried for another 20 min and kept saying "minki broke" but then I offered him his car blanket and he magically stopped crying. My fears were confirmed and it took him over an hour of crying that night to get to sleep - along with cries of "minki broke". Gradually naps and bed time have gotten better but he was becoming dependent on us singing him to sleep, which I did not want. This week I finally figured out how to get him to sleep - my Grandpa Payne's CD. My Grandpa was an amazing pianist and recorded 2 CDs for our family. If I put Grandpa's CD of primary songs and hymns on and leave Blake's bedroom door open, Blake falls asleep in 10 min or less with no crying and without Nathan or me being in his room. (closing the door leads to immediate tears!) It has worked for 2 bed times and a nap, so I'm hoping we have found the solution to our sleep problems. Once he is asleep, he goes all night (7:30pm to 6:30am) so luckily the only hurdle has been getting to sleep :)

I was wanting to get rid of the binki before our new little one arrived, so I guess it has all worked out :)

No comments: